Of course, we can cut copper sheets or brass sheet but it is a challenging task to cut copper because it is very conductive and it reflects the laser beam. The thickness of the copper sheet we can cut with a laser is limited, but with the advancement of automatic sheet metal cutting machine, we can obtain efficient and excellent cutting with the following tips.
Tips to Get a Successful Cutting of Copper and Brass
● Right Metal Plate Cutting MachineCopper and brass are good reflectors (and therefore poor absorbers) of the infrared laser light, especially in their solid state. Copper has low absorption of laser beam and fiber lasers have an emission wavelength of around 1.07 µm, compared to 10.6 µm for traditional CO2 alternatives. That is why CO2 lasers have not traditionally offered a good solution for cutting highly reflective materials and we most often recommend fiber lasers for cutting copper and other non-ferrous metals. because fiber laser cutting machines provide a dramatically higher power density, making metal penetration easier. Furthermore, Fiber laser cutting made cutting copper more efficient and economical, as the beam does not reflect back into the resonator and causes damage.
● Power and Cutting ThicknessCopper laser cutting machine are also a strong choice for cutting copper because they can cut a versatile thickness of materials, from thin to thick. Using the maximum peak power available for the piercing and cutting reduces the time in which the material is in its most reflective condition. Know more about cutting thickness you can get with different power through the following table. Know more about How thick Fiber Laser Cut.
Nitrogen Laser Cutting Machine - Cutting Thickness
|Material Thickness(mm)||Reference to the effective cutting speed（m/min）|
|Yellow Copper Nitrogen Gas||Yellow Copper Nitrogen Gas||Yellow Copper Nitrogen Gas||Yellow Copper Nitrogen Gas||Yellow Copper Nitrogen Gas||Yellow Copper Nitrogen Gas|
Applications of cnc laser cutting machine sheet metal
● Cut SpeedThe maximum feed rate supported by modern fiber laser cutting machines can be reduced by approximately 10 – 15%, therefore it can allow sufficient dwell time for cutting and avoid any risk that the cut will extinguish.
● Focus PositionFor both piercing and cutting, set the focus position as close to the top surface as the cut quality allows. This minimizes the amount of surface material that interacts with the beam at the beginning of the process, thereby maximizing the power density of the beam, which leads to quicker melting. Find more details about our fiber laser cutting technology!
● Cutting GasWhen cutting copper, we often use high-pressure oxygen so as to increase the process reliability, while we can get a better cutting for brass cutting with nitrogen cutting gas.
Despite copper’s reflective qualities that make it challenging for cutting, it can be cut by various fiber laser cutters. Hymson is one of the sheet metal laser cutting machine manufacturers in China, contact us for further information about laser-cut copper to determine the best sheet metal cnc machine for your needs.
Fiber Laser Cutting: Promote the Application of Copper / Brass
Fiber laser cutting machine-1000W 0.6mm Brass
Hymson丨6000W 10MM Brass laser cut
Share This Post: